Monday, March 30, 2009

Update on Life…and an Embarrassing Confession

A quick warning: this blog is a little jumpy.

I know this blog is about D.C. and all, but I feel I need to continue with a discussion I started in an earlier entry about my uncertainty of life after undergrad. I think I have finally settled on a decision – apply for AmeriCorps (and hopefully obtain a position), then pursue a dual degree program for an MSW/JD. This is my best laid plan to date, and then I don’t have to rush to take my entrance exams. If you are trying to decide what to do, I strongly suggest taking a look at the AmeriCorps website.

But enough of that, you came to read about D.C. I was given the daunting task of drafting a motion to change a permanency goal from reunification to adoption. It sounds simple, but in order to write this, I had to go through all court orders and reports to find out services the parents were not participating in that had been court ordered. I also had to read a few mental health evaluations and a bonding study to state why adoption would be in the best interest of the child. So far, my draft is at thirteen pages. I have to outline which services were ordered, and how the parents violated the orders and services. For example, I could write, “Mom was court ordered to participate in parenting classes at XYZ at the Disposition Hearing on December 13, 2008. Mom missed the first two classes due to illness, but has yet to reschedule as of March 29, 2009,” or “Mom had a housing appointment on March 13, 2009 but did not call or show. The agent tried to contact Mom several times unsuccessfully. Then, the social worker also tried to contact Mom several times, leaving messages to call the agent back at such-and-such time in order to reschedule a time. Mom has not rescheduled the housing appointment as of March 29, 2009.” I also have to include background information on the facts as to why the child was originally removed from the home.

I want to start this paragraph by saying that I am fully embarrassed to admit this: back home before coming here, I couldn't really have cared less about the news. There, I said it! My name is Emily and I didn’t have a clue as to what was going on in the nation prior to January 28, 2009. I didn’t have a local paper delivered to my dorm, and I rarely watched the news on TV. My only news source was really whatever was featured on Yahoo! News, and even then, Yahoo! only shows four news stories on the section I glance at. Since I’ve been here, I grab a free paper every morning and read it on the Metro. I must say, the news is addictive. I always want to know what’s going on and if I don’t understand terms (such as economic and financial ones that have been thrown around since the AIG scandal blew up), I am eager to look them up online. I have now set CNN.com to my homepage on Firefox and I even check the Commercial Appeal, my local paper back home, online. It’s a strange craving, and I am always sad when I realize there is no free paper on the weekends.

As for civic engagement, on Monday I go to my orientation for Offender Aid and Restoration, so I will have more updates next week on this. I can only say that I am very excited! I still go to D.C. Area Books to Prisons Project and I still love it.

On a social note, Kevin, Yes, and myself went to Third Edition in Georgetown last weekend. It is a two story club/bar and is usually very, very crowded. The DJ plays really good music, too.

First, we ate at CPK (California Pizza Kitchen). If you haven’t ever had CPK, go find one – it’s so good!! Be sure to ask for bread with Ranch and Ranchito!

Before going out for the night!

Can you see all the people in the background??

Advice for the day:

I don’t have any advice for the day, but words for my Memphis Tigers: WE STILL LOVE YOU! You’ve made us all proud!

My friends Howie and Missy (along with me) at a Tigers game last fall. If anyone underestimates the fans’ love for Tiger basketball, just look at Howie’s face.

No comments:

Post a Comment