Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Changing Tides in the Emily Ocean

It has only taken me seven weeks to realize my workload and responsibilities at the OAG have changed drastically since February 2, 2009. I once complained of not being mentally challenged by the work set in front of me, and that I sometimes became bored. Now, I grasp the error in my remarks. In the beginning, my attorneys gave me file jackets in which I had to tab certain documents of importance, such as the petition, initial hearing order, stipulation, etc. Then, my attorneys passed on the task of pre-filling information into court documents. This consisted of typing in the child’s name, docket number, social file number, and other personal information into a template. Since my attorneys have seen my abilities in these basic assignments, I now have the responsibilities of drafting court documents such as the stipulations, joint pre-trial statements, and motions; filling out subpoenas and summons; and interviewing witnesses, such as social workers and doctors. One of my attorneys even used my notes from a hearing to refresh her memory on the case! Needless to say, my responsibilities as an intern have turned completely, and when given these new projects, I feel mentally challenged.

Last Monday, I attended a joint Law and Criminal Justice and International Affairs programs’ event titled “The Terrorist Threat and the Law.” I really enjoyed this event, which is totally different from my opinions on the previous Leadership Forum events! The speakers were both very interesting and kept their voices above a monotone volume level. I commend the second speaker, Mr. Charles Stimson, on his part of the lecture. What I liked best is that he laid out the political terms in simple, common terms that an average person could understand. This made the lecture more enjoyable and easier to follow. Both speakers were very knowledgeable on the subject (not to say other speakers are not), and I liked the fact that both sides of the political spectrum were represented. I wish every President's Lecture Series could also be like this event.

Spending a semester in Washington, D.C. is interesting, fun, and a little stressful. I really love this city because there is so much to do here for any age, not just people over the age of twenty-one. I enjoy being in a culturally and historically rich environment. I also like the fact that I am in the center of the policy making of America! I’m still not sure I’m going to ready to leave D.C. in May…

Sarah and I at an after work dinner at a Moroccan restaurant!


They had a belly dancer there who made Sarah and I dance with her!

What is stressful about spending a semester in D.C. is planning my course load for next semester without physically being there, and getting scholarships together before the deadlines. I have had to write essays and find professors to write letters of recommendations without being able to meet with them. Deciding on classes is a little more difficult when trying to communicate through email than I thought it would be.

Advice for the day: If coming to TWC, be prepared to balance work with class, TWC events, papers, and your home institution dealings. It is a little overwhelming, so buy a planner and use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment